FCA International represents contractors’ interests by sitting on the board of directors of Helmets to Hardhats (H2H). This memo contains excerpts from H2H’s monthly board report of interest to contractors.
- Helmets to Hardhats (H2H) continued to focus on its mission to serve as a bridge connecting military service members and veterans with our construction industry affiliates while navigating the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- H2H is working closely with the DOL on their new Employment Navigator & Partnership Pilot initiative in which H2H will be the sole representative of apprenticeship opportunities.
- NABTU and TVA signed a 10-year extension of their Project Maintenance and Modification Agreement (PMMA) which secures funding for H2H.
- Six banners recognizing the partnership are in route to TVA facilities.
- Five other banners have been delivered to jobsites in California and Washington which have PLA’s with language that grant funding to H2H.
- The “Friends of NABTU for H2H” golf outing successfully filled the fundraising gap left with the cancellation of the annual “A Round Fore Our Troops” event due to COVID-19.
- H2H has been in contact with the American Gold Star Mothers, Inc. based out of Washington, DC (https://www.goldstarmoms.com/). They connected with us to see if we would be able to help them with some renovation projects at their headquarters.
- A walkthrough was conducted with representatives from the H2H, Baltimore/DC BCTC, IUPAT and UA.
- Once our scope of work is approved by their board, the goal is to start work after Veterans Day.
- At this time, the scope includes plumbing, painting and carpentry projects. We have until the end of January; beginning of February to complete the projects.
Veteran Unemployment Rate
- In September 2020, the veteran unemployment rate was 6.8 percent, (up from 6.6 percent in August).
- Comparable non-veteran unemployment rate was 7.8 percent in September.
- This is the seventh consecutive month that the veteran unemployment rate was lower than the non-veteran unemployment rate.
- H2H continued to utilize the monthly social media toolkit to enhance our social media presence and increase followers.
- The focus in October was to track how well posts did in specific geographic areas with major military installations, and these tracking efforts will provide valuable data in developing the marketing strategy for large scale campaigns in 2021.
- Consistency in posting is proving to be the key to steadily increasing our following across all channels; H2H is up 108 followers on Facebook, 49 on Instagram and 13 on Twitter.
Learn More About H2H
Helmets to Hardhats is a national, nonprofit program that connects transitioning active-duty military service members, veterans, National Guard and Reservists with skilled training and quality career opportunities in the construction industry. Learn more at https://helmetstohardhats.org/.